23 May 2009

Lord's Day 21 Heidelberg Catechism

Lord's Day 21

Scripture Readings: Matthew 16:13-28; Ephesians 2:11-22; Acts 20:17-32; Acts 8:4-24; 1 Corinthians 12:12-27; Peter 1

Question 54. What do you believe concerning "the holy catholic church"?
Answer. I believe that the Son of God through his Spirit and Word, out of the entire human race, from the beginning of the world to its end, gathers, protects, and preserves for himself a community chosen for eternal life and united in true faith. Moreover, I believe that I am and forever will remain a living member of it.
Question 55. What do you understand by "the communion of saints"?
Answer. First, that believers one and all, as members of this community, share in Christ and in all his treasures and gifts. Second, that each member should consider it a duty to use these gifts readily and cheerfully for the service and enrichment of the other members.
Question 56. What do you believe concerning "the forgiveness of sins"?
Answer. I believe that God, because of Christ's atonement, will never hold against me any of my sins nor my sinful nature which I need to struggle against all my life. Rather, God by grace grants me the righteousness of Christ to free me forever from judgement.

For study and discussion:
Can a faithful church survive through history if its not a creedal church? Why or why not?
What is the difference and the importance between catholic church and Catholic church?
Can one be a Christian and not belong to a local church?

No comments: