04 November 2007

Feeling Low?

I find Spurgeon had great insight into the deep issues of life. On feeling low he postulated, The worst forms of depression are cured when Holy Scripture is believed. Elsewhere he went on, To have something to do for Jesus, and to go right on with it, is one of the best ways to get over a bereavement, or any heavy mental depression. If you can pursue some great object, you will not feel that you are living for nothing. I find both statements very true for Scripture tells us, These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world (John 16:33). And, Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you (1 Thes. 5:16-18). Putting our focus on the Lord and minimizing times of self pity will see us through those difficult periods in life.

No comments: