02 January 2007

Happy New Year (again)

What is it about the New Year that makes people want to make resolutions? I, for one, dislike resolutions. I can’t keep them. Maybe something is wrong with the resolutions I’ve made. Maybe it’s just me. I’ve come to the conclusion that I really don’t like New Year’s resolutions. If something requires change in one’s life it ought to start immediately and not wait for a particular day of the year to start working on the change. Regardless, one thing I have noticed is that change comes through hard work. I somehow have been quoted on numerous “quote” websites for the little phrase, “No sweat, No sanctification.” I truly believe this. I’ve never received a holy zap that changed some area of my life for the better. I have, however, worked in certain areas of my life and with the Holy Spirit have achieved change, at least to some degree, that honors our Lord. So, rather than looking forward, let’s look to the past this year. Here a just a few questions that can be asked: Have I studied more? Read more? Have I reached out in love more? Have I prayed regularly? Memorized more? Applied what I’ve learned? Written more? Bottom line, has my sanctification increased? As this year rolls along the hope is to be focusing less on the meaningless and more on the meaningful.

No comments: