07 January 2007

Trusting Providence


And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. Rev. 21:4

It’s been a tough week. A good friend’s sister died of cancer, another good friend’s mother had cancer surgery, my counterpart’s wife in Texas had cancer surgery and a co-worker that I’ve known the last sixteen years had a heart attack. As believers we’re often reminded of the brevity of life but this week it really hit home. Of course, this prompted numerous conversations on the Providence of God at the funeral home today. What a blessing to have gone to a funeral surrounded by likeminded, Reformed saints. As we lamented the loss of my friend’s sister, we also rejoiced in the fact that God is good and through a series of events, God ordained of course, she became a believer in the last year of her short life. As we examine our lives it is often very easy to recognize the work of Providence. In my life I’ve seen God work His Providence in marvelous ways. Situations that at one time were difficult to endure later became the seeds of happiness. When pondering Providence I often pull from my bookshelf what is probably my most favorite book, The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel (its one of the Puritan Paperbacks published by Banner of Truth Trust.) On pages 126 – 128 we find the following, “Consult the various Providences of your life in this point, and I doubt not but you will find the truth of these promises as often confirmed as you have been in trouble. Ask your own hearts, where or when was it that God forsook you, and left you to sink and perish under your burdens?...You read that the Word of God is the only support and relief to a gracious soul in the dark day of affliction (Psalm 119:50, 92: 2 Sam. 23:5), and that for this purpose it was written (Rom 15:4). No rules of moral prudence, no natural remedies can perform for us that which the Word can do…The written Word tells us that the best way to gain inward peace and tranquility of mind under puzzling and disturbing troubles is to commit ourselves and our case to the Lord (Psalm 37:5-7: Prov. 16:3).” And so I take a few moments to contemplate what we find in Psalm 77, “I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old. I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.” I contemplate and remember that I am blessed.

No comments: