27 October 2007

Meditation

One of my favorite books is Disciplines of a Godly Man by R. Kent Hughes. From time to time I pull it off the shelf and and read a chapter. This week I re-read chapter 7, Discipline of Devotion. This work is not an in depth theological study rather it is a book full of information to improve our daily walk. This chapter is no different. Under the header of Meditation Hughes explains Psalm 1:2, When the Psalmist speaks of meditating on the Law of God day and night (Psalm 1:2), he uses a word which means "to mutter." This word is used to describe the murmurings of kings in Psalm 2:1, and for the chattering of doves in Is. 59:11. In fact, St. Augustine translated Psalm 1:2, "On his law he chatters day and night." Meditation is intrinsically verbal. This means the Psalmist memorized God's Word - for one cannot continually mutter the Scripture without memorizing it, and vice versa. OK, this has not ever been my standard method of memorizing or meditating on Scripture but I'm willing to give it a shot. So if you see me talking to myself, don't interrupt - I'm meditating.

For most of us, meditation is difficult. Hughes uses Scripture to explain the benefits of meditation:

Revival -"The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul" (Psalm 19:7).
Wisdom - "The statues of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple" (Psalm 19:7); "Oh how I love your law! I meditate on it day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me" (Psalm 119:97, 98).
Increases in our faith - "Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ" (Romans 10:17).

Hughes continues, The discipline of meditation is a must. Moses told Israel as he finished the "Song of Moses": Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day...They are not just words for you - they are your life" (De. 32:46, 47).

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I am almost sure we have the same taste in books. Disciplines is one of the only books I have read twice. Now I am inspired I which I had time to read it again!
Thanks Russ for bring it to the attention of your audience!

Shalom
Stephen

Reformed Renegade said...

Desring God is another I that re-read portions of from time to time.
Both have influenced me over the years, sometimes I forget how much.