26 September 2009

Spiritual Leadership Qualities

I was investigating spiritual leadership on the 'net and came across this gem from John Piper. He lists 18 qualities that he feels should embody those in leadership. I found number 3 to be especially good:

Intense
The great quality I want in my associates is one of intensity. Romans 12:8 says that if your gift is leadership, "do it with zeal." Romans 12:11 says, "Never flag in zeal, boil in the spirit!" When the disciples remembered the way Jesus had behaved in relation to the temple of God they characterized it with words from the Old Testament like this, "Zeal for thy house has eaten me up" (John 2:17). The leader follows the advice of Ecclesiastes 9:10, "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might." When Jonathan Edwards was a young man he wrote a list of about seventy resolutions. The one that has inspired me the most goes like this: "To live with all my might while I live." Count Zinzendorf of the Moravians said, "I have one passion. It is He and He alone." Jesus warns us in Revelation 3:16 that he does not have any taste for people who are lukewarm: "Because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth." Spiritual leaders must go out alone somewhere and ponder what unutterable and stupendous things they know about God. If their life is one extended yawn they are simply blind. Leaders must give evidence that the things of the Spirit are intensely real. They cannot do that unless they are intense themselves.

I'm not a particularly intense person myself so the point here is well taken. I think we often, too, allow others to drag us down in this area even when we feel especially empowered by the Spirit. This was a great encouragement to me as I will be shortly stepping back into the role of deacon. I hope you find it helpful as well.
(HT: Mark Altrogge)

No comments: