26 September 2009

Lord's Day 38 Heidelberg Catechism

Lord's Day 38

Scripture Readings: Acts 20:1-16; 1 Corinthians 16:2: Revelation 1:10

Question 103. What is God's will for us in the fourth commandment?
Answer. First, that the gospel ministry and education for it be maintained, and that, especially on the festive day of rest, I regularly attend the assembly of God's people to learn what God's Word teaches, to participate in the sacraments, to pray to God publicly, and to bring Christian offerings for the poor. Second, that every day of my life I rest from my evil ways, let the Lord work in me through the Spirit, and so begin in this life the eternal Sabbath.

For study and reflection:
How do we "turn off" our busy lives and allow the Lord's Day to be what God desires it to be for us?

No comments: