Riding on the shirt tails of my last post I will now proudly proclaim my top five favorite beers (which actually turned into my top seven favorite beers – I’m sure there is a tenth but I just can’t think of it). I might also add at this point that this list, at least the last four or so, are subject to change based experiential delight in pursuit of the perfect pint. Additionally, one will note that beers such as Bud Light (I even have a hard time typing that) will not be found in this list – I would rather have a Pepsi than subject myself to a Budweiser. Having said all that, here is the list:
1) Tied for first place is Guinness and McEwan’s Scotch Ale. My palette is not as sophisticated as some beer aficionados but I find them quite similar. Both are very dark but the McEwan’s is just a tad sweet. If I was on a desert island and forced to pick one or the other the McEwan’s would likely win out. I’m blessed that there are no desert islands near this part of Ohio.
2) Next would be Great Lakes Brewing’s Blackout Stout so named for the blackout on August 14th , 2004. Again, another very dark color and more similar to the McEwan’s than to the Guinness but it does not have that wee bit of sweetness. But, this one is expensive. It’s sold in 4-packs for the same price as what you’d pay for a 6-pack.
3) Another fine Great Lakes Brew is their Christmas Ale. Don’t read the ingredients they throw in to give it that Holiday taste, it’ll just put you off. Nevertheless, this is becoming a perennial favorite in this part of the country.
4) Bass Ale. Excellent brew, the only pale ale in the group.
5) Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Outstanding, but it’s a bit heavy for a lager to drink regularly. I wouldn’t give you two cents for the Samuel Adams Light.
6) Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. Many guys don’t like these beers as they’re after the traditional beer “taste.” All I can say is Get Over It.
7) Leinenkugel Red. You won't go wrong with this red.
OK, let's throw in Pete's Wicked Ale, Wicked Red and Wicked Strawberry Blond to make it an even 10. There ya have it. Renegade's top picks.