15 March 2008

A Couple of Disappointments and a Highlight

Jason over at the Pilgrim's Pub seemed to like the Sam Adams Irish Red, I thought it was a bit disappointing. It was OK, for something different but I won't spend the hard earned cash on this brew again. I guess its just a bit flat & missing excitement compared to some of the other Reds that are out there like Murphy's or even Killian's. Its not a throw away though, I'll finish the six pack don't you worry about that. I was just expecting something more from Sam Adams. On the Renegade 1 to 10 scale it rates a poor 6.

Another disappointment was the Blackened Voodoo Beer from Dixie Brewing. Its won great reviews but I won't be heading to Lousiana for a visit anytime soon. Perhaps I'm spoiled having some great brew pubs in my area or perhaps I was simply drawn in by its name but never again. I'm struggling just to finish the last couple of bottles. At best the is just an average beer, a step above a Miller Lite and a step below most other brews. On the Renegade scale of 1 to 10 it rates a dismal 3.

One highlight this week was that I found my local grocery store (of all places - go figure!) is now carrying Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it on the shelf. This stout has everything your asking for. Its smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavor. From Youngs website we read...Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young’s award winning rich, full flavoured dark beer to craft a satisfyingly indulgent, but never overly sweet experience.Its first rate and at only 5.2 ABV you can drink all you want (well, you know what I mean). The Renegade gives this one a 9.5 rating. Drink up!

No comments: