19 February 2008

Beer, Good Beer

We had a great afternoon yesterday as my wife & I took her dad out for his birthday. We went to a local establishment by the name of The Brew Kettle. This is an outstanding restaurant with an even more outstanding draft selection. Nothing but good beer here. You won't find a Miller or Bud Light in the house (you may get kicked out for asking). Check out their On Tap Now page and you'll see what I mean. Its always fum to go and try something new. For starters I had the Hoppin Frog BORIS which is brewed right here in Akron, Ohio. Absolutely wonderful - all that toasty sweetness that I can't get enough of! As a Porter and Stout guy this really hit the spot.(BORIS stands for Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout.) This fine brew is ABV 9.4 and IBU 60. Good stuff but at 9.4 ABV be sure you watch how many you imbibe or have someone drive you. I only had one - don't worry.
Next I had a Southern Tier Raspberry Porter. I wasn't sure what to expect here but as I normally like fruity brews I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I was greatly delighted! A great raspberry taste in a porter, you can be sure I'll be looking for this in the beverage store. Click on the link to read more at the Beer Advocate.
Lastly, I had my growler filled with their own Ringneck Black Jack Porter. Nice roasty flavor. I'm sipping on some now! If you're in the Cleveland area you won't go wrong stopping by. You can even brew your own beer there which is something I plan on one day soon. I already have the name picked out - Reformation Porter.

1 comment:

Jason Nota said...

That is truly some good beer on tap (the one's I recognize) If only there was a place like that around here.