11 October 2012

Share It - Don't Stuff it -- Proverbs 17:17

    A friend loves at all times,
        and a brother is born for adversity.
(Proverbs 17:17 ESV)

"We may also make our complaint to men. So did Job; "Have pity, have pity on me, O my friends; for the hand of God has touched me' (Job 19:21). And it is a mercy if we have any friends that are wise, faithful, and experienced; they are born for such a time as this (Prov. 17:17) ...


I may burden the heart of my friend; but how little does that ease my own! Yet the very opening of the heart to an experienced, tender Christian, is some relief, and the engaging his prayers is more. Thus far you moan safely; in all this there is no danger." (Taken from Facing Grief: Counsel for Mourners by John Flavel, Banner of Truth Trust, pg. 18.)

When you attend worship this Sunday, share those burdens and afflictions you've been shouldering on your own. Church should be a safe place to be yourself, not hide those trials and find some relief in  godly Christian friends who are willing to listen and share your struggles.

S.D.G.

No comments: