31 July 2012

On Jordan's Stormy Banks


On Jordan's Stormy Banks

1. On Jordan's stormy banks I stand, 
 and cast a wishful eye 
 to Canaan's fair and happy land, 
 where my possessions lie. 
 Refrain:
 I am bound for the promised land, 
 I am bound for the promised land; 
 oh, who will come and go with me? 
 I am bound for the promised land. 

2. O'er all those wide extended plains 
 shines one eternal day; 
 there God the Son forever reigns, 
 and scatters night away. 
 (Refrain) 

3. No chilling winds or poisonous breath 
 can reach that healthful shore; 
 sickness and sorrow, pain and death, 
 are felt and feared no more. 
 (Refrain) 

4. When I shall reach that happy place, 
 I'll be forever blest, 
 for I shall see my Father's face, 
 and in his bosom rest. 
 (Refrain) 
 Author: Samuel Stennett
Music: Traditional American Melody 
 
A favorite hymn of many including myself. Here's some background on the hymn. 
  
[Author] Samuel Stennett was born, in 1727, in Exeter, England, the son of a Baptist minister. 
...[Stennett] was one of the most respected and  influential preachers among the Dissenting or
non-conformist groups of his time. he was highly esteemed by all religious groups and classes 
of people; it was said that he was even a personal friend of reigning monarch, King George III.
... Throughout his ministry, Stennett also authored thirty-nine hymns, most of which he 
contributed to one of the most important evangelical hymnals of the eighteenth century, 
John Rippon's Selection of Hymns, published in 1787. ...Stennett's two most popular hymns
still in usage are 'Majestic Sweetness Sits Enthroned" and On Jordan's Stormy Banks." In 1763,
the University of Aberdeen conferred the Doctor of Divinity degree upon Samuel Stennett,
in recognition of his accomplishments. (Taken from 101 More Hymn Stories by Kenneth W. Osbeck, Kregel Publications, pg. 222.)


This is a really sweet rendition.

No comments: