On suffering Thomas Case intsructs us that God...
1. Teaches us to feel compassion towards others who are suffering.
2. Teaches us to prize our outward comforts and mercies.
3. Teaches us submission and self-denial. We learn to take up our cross.
4. Willl teach us by enduring little, we learn to endure much.
5. Will allow trouble so that we know our own heart. We will develop meekness through affliction and He will then save us from it.
(From Selected Works, A Treatise on Afflictions pages 5-27.)