24 October 2009

Lord's Day 42 Heidelberg Catechism

Lord's Day 42

Scripture Readings: Deuteronomy 25:13-16; Ephesians 4:28; 2 Thessalonians 3:6-15

Question 110. What does God forbid in the eighth commandment?
Answer. God forbids not only the theft and robbery which civil authorities punish, but God also labels as theft all wicked tricks and schemes by which we seek to get for ourselves our neighbor's goods, whether by force or under the pretext of right, such as false weights and measures, deceptive advertising or merchandising, counterfeit money, exorbitant interest, or any other means forbidden by God. In addition God forbids all greed and pointless squandering of his gifts.

Question 111. What does God require of us in this commandment?
Answer. That I do whatever I can for my neighbor's good, that I treat others as I would like them to treat me, and that I work faithfully so that I may share with those in need.

For reflection:
In what other ways an we describe "pointless squandering of gifts"?
How far should we go to "share with those in need"?

No comments: