10 October 2009

Lord's Day 40 Heidelberg Catechism

Lord's Day 40

Scripture Readings: Genesis 9:5-7; Matthew 5:21-26, 43-48; Romans 13:1-7

Question 105. What is God's will for us in the sixth commandment?
Answer. I am not to belittle, insult, hate, or kill my neighbor not by my thoughts, my words, my look, or gesture and certainly not by actual deeds and I am not to be party to this in others; rather, I am to put away all desire for revenge. I am not to harm or recklessly endanger myself either. Prevention of murder is also why government is armed with the sword.

Question 106. Does this commandment refer only to murder?
Answer. God's prohibition of murder teaches us that God hates the root of murder: envy, hatred, anger, vindictiveness. In God's sight all such are hidden murder.

Question 107. Is it enough then that we not murder our neighbor in any such way?
Answer. No. By condemning envy, hatred, and anger God wants us to love our neighbors as ourselves, to show patience, peace, gentleness, mercy, and friendliness towards them, to protect them from harm as much as we can, and to do good even to our enemies.

For study and discussion:
Does this commandment forbid all killing? What would be an exception?
Should convicted murders sill be put to death? How about a pedophile?

No comments: