24 January 2012

A Few Thoughts on Psalm 73:26

    My flesh and my heart may fail,
        but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
   
(Psalm 73:26 ESV)

Psalm 73:26 is a favorite verse of many including myself. As I often like to explore what the commentators have to say concerning this verse, I thought I would compile and share a few of their thoughts here.

John Calvin

I am rather disposed to think that there is here a contrast between the failing which David felt in himself and the strength with which he was divinely supplied; as if he had said, Separated from God I am nothing, and all that I attempt to do ends in nothing; but when I come to him, I find an abundant supply of strength. ...Accordingly, the reason why God is represented as a portion is, because he alone is abundantly sufficient for us, and because in him the perfection of our happiness consists.

Calvin, John; Beveridge, Henry; Anderson, James; King, John; Bingham, Charles William; Pringle, John; Myers, Thomas; Owen, John; Pringle, William (2011-11-15). Complete Commentaries (With Active Table of Contents) (Kindle Locations 114589-114591). Kindle Edition.

Charles Spurgeon

Verse 26. My flesh and my heart faileth. They had failed him already, and he had almost fallen; they would fail him in the hour of death, and, if he relied upon them, they would fail him at once. But God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. His God would not fail him, either as protection or a joy. His heart would be kept up by divine love, and filled eternally with divine glory. After having been driven far out to sea, Asaph casts anchor in the old port. We shall do well to follow his example. There is nothing desirable save God; let us, then, desire only him. All other things must pass away; let our hearts abide in him, who alone abideth for ever.

Spurgeon, Charles H. (2011-04-07). The Treasury of David: Charles Spurgeon Commentary on Psalms (with Active Table of Contents) [Illustrated] (Kindle Locations 37418-37419). Niche Edition. Kindle Edition.

Matthew Henry

Observe here, [1.] Great distress and trouble supposed: My flesh and my heart fail. Note, Others have experienced and we must expect, the failing both of flesh and heart. The body will fail by sickness, age, and death; and that which touches the bone and the flesh touches us in a tender part, that part of ourselves which we have been but too fond of; when the flesh fails the heart is ready to fail too; the conduct, courage, and comfort fail. [2.] Sovereign relief provided in this distress: But God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever. Note, Gracious souls, in their greatest distresses, rest upon God as their spiritual strength and their eternal portion. First, "He is the strength of my heart, the rock of my heart, a firm foundation, which will bear my weight and not sink under it. God is the strength of my heart; I have found him so; I do so still, and hope ever to find him so." In the distress supposed, he had put the case of a double failure, both flesh and heart fail; but, in the relief, he fastens on a single support: he leaves out the flesh and the consideration of that, it is enough that God is the strength of his heart.

Henry, Matthew (2010-11-07). Unabridged Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible (best navigation) (Kindle Locations 110293-110301). OSNOVA. Kindle Edition.

No comments: