09 June 2010

Our Days are a Mere Handbreadth

Psalm 39:4-5
4 "Show me, O LORD, my life's end
and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting is my life.
5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Each man's life is but a breath. (NIV)

We should be blessed by this passage. I certainly was as I read it this morning. Hence, we must ask ourselves, what are we doing today? Are we building up treasure here or in heaven? If we're trying to build treasure in heaven, how are we doing that? What are our plans for the future? How can we use our time effectively with what time we have left here? I just heard the great analogy of life being like an overnight stay in a motel. Would you or I dump money and time into the room if we were just staying for the night? Of course not but we often do that with our lives here. Let's take time to think through our motives and refocus our hearts on what truly is important as our time here is so short.

No comments: