18 June 2009

A Few Thoughts for Father's Day

As Father's Day quickly approaches let us remember the blessing of having godly parents and if we did not, let that fact urge us on to holiness in our own parenting. I'd like to focus on one aspect of fatherhood and parenting overall. Let's take a wee look at what our spiritual parents have said about this first.

From the Heidelberg Catechism:
Question 104. What is God's will for us in the fifth commandment?
Answer. That I show honor, love, and loyalty to my father and mother and all those in authority over me; that I submit myself with proper obedience to all their good teaching and correction; and also that I be patient with their failings, for through them God chooses to rule us.

This, I think, is so crucial. We are often so unforgiving of those we know best, our parents. Shall we take some time to repent of our arrogance and refresh our memories that our parents are sinners like us and need forgiveness like us. They are God's representative to us, yet they have failings that need to be forgiven. I often find it frustrating that, as a parent of adult children, I seemed to just be getting the hang of the parenting thing (at least to some small degree) and then they were gone. Yet when they were young & I needed the most knowledge I was so ill equiped. Just another reminder to me that our parents need our patience and understanding.

Thank your Dad today for trying to lead you in godliness. He may have failed several times down the road, but he was striving to see you walk in the Lord. Thank the Lord that for your Dad and pray that you would have patience with him and that your children will have patience with you.

Happy Father's Day!

No comments: