18 October 2008

Blogging Thoughts

Paul Wallace (recently interviewed by the Exiled Preacher) has listed some concerns about blogging that I believe are worth some review. He lists seven points, permit me to comment on one and seven. Points two - six are spot on (and let me point out that I have, concerning point number six, submitted myself to the authority of my church for my blog). His first concern is as follows, There are some extremely influential blogs that I think don’t even slightly deserve the influential position they have. Vice-versa as I have said before I get much more benefit from “small” blogs like most of those listed on my side-bar where real, ordinary pastors and other folks are sharing God’s word and their meditations there-on. I emphatically agree. There are a few large blogs that are worth read such as Justin Taylor’s Between Two Worlds, Mark Driscoll’s blog and the Desiring God blog and that’s about it. There is one out there that I can’t for the life of me fathom why its so popular but it is and that’s the way it is. So be it. Wallace’s affirmation that smaller blogs are of more benefit is very true. There is much more to be derived from the average guy or gal who is out there striving to do God’s work in a sinful world and sharing their life’s moments and learnings with us.

His last point is just as insightful: …I am convinced there are way too many armchair theologians out there, who can pontificate about finer points of doctrine and church practice but are not attached to a church at all, or are attached to churches that are well off doctrinally, but they can vent their frustrations in the internet realm, instead of taking courage and joining biblical churches. Likewise they cut down faithful people who just forget to dot their i’s and cross their t’s now and again. I learned my lesson with these folks years ago when I was involved with a particular newsgroup that had some theological heavyweights as members. These guys would cut you down over the least infraction. I often wondered what their congregations thought of them as many were Pastors. I describe myself as an armchair theologian but I don’t think you’ll find me pontificating (I love that word) very often. What you’ll find here is where I’m at, i.e., what I’m reading or thinking about, what I’m struggling through, what has encouraged me and therefore I hope what will encourage you.

Thanks Paul for a great post.

No comments: