09 October 2012

We Must Allow the Mourning - Psalm 142:2-3

"It is much more becoming a Christian ingenuously to open his troubles than to sullenly smother them. There is no sin in complaining to God, but much wickedness in complaining of him. Griefs are eased by groans and heart- pressures relieved by utterance.


This was David's course and constant way, who was a man of afflictions: 'I poured out my complaint before him; I showed him my trouble. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then you knew my path' (Psa. 142:2-3).

To whom should children go but to their father, to make their moan? Whence may they expect relief and comfort but for him? The 102nd Psalm entitled, 'A Prayer of the afflicted,when he was overwhelmed, and pours out his complaint before the Lord.'" (Taken from Facing Grief: Counsel for Mourners by John Flavel, Banner of Truth Trust, pg. 16.)

Indeed what a patient and loving God we have. One who hears our cries and suffers us to come before him in prayer during our troubles. Don't neglect this wonderful privilege today.

    Hear my prayer, O LORD;
    let my cry come to you!
    Do not hide your face from me
        in the day of my distress!
    Incline your ear to me;
        answer me speedily in the day when I call!
(Psalm 102:1-2 ESV)

No comments: