01 January 2011

Just Pick One....Or Two...

New Years is always a time for resolutions and though I think resolutions are for the most part a waste of time, there is some profit in thinking about where I, or should I say we, can improve in holiness. So, I find myself returning to the resolutions of Jonathan Edwards and picking one or two where I find myself lacking or where I've grossly missed the opportunity to cultivate holiness. Hence, here are my two picks:

9. Resolved, to think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death.

28. Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.

30. Resolved, to strive to my utmost every week to be brought higher in religion, and to a higher exercise of grace, than I was the week before.

41. Resolved, to ask myself at the end of every day, week, month and year, wherein I could possibly in any respect have done better.

OK, that was four. But I see more of God's grace every day and try to see less of self which results in more resolutions I need to embrace. Edwards was a better man than I which seems to have given him the ability to have 70 resolutions. For me, let me take on a few and apply my focus there.

May the Lord be with us in MMXI and may we seek him with all our hearts.

No comments: