31 October 2009

Lord's Day 43 Heidelberg Catechism

Lord's Day 43

Scripture Readings: Matthew 5:33-37; 1 Samuel 16; Ephesians 4:15, 25

Question 112. What is God's will for us in the ninth commandment?
Answer. That I do not give false testimony against anyone, twist any one's words, or gossip or slander, or join in condemning anyone without a hearing or without just cause. Rather, in court and everywhere else, I should avoid lying and deceit of every kind; these are devices the devil uses, and they would call down on me God's intense wrath. I should love the truth, speak it candidly, and openly acknowledge it. And I should do what I can to defend and advance my neighbor's good name.

For discussion and reflection:
What are we still tempted to lie and how do we deal with that?

No comments: