29 August 2009

Lord's Day 34 Heidelberg Catechism part 2

Lord's Day 34

Scripture Readings: 1 John 5:21; Deuteronomy 18:9-10; Acts 5:29

Question 94. What does the Lord require in the first commandment?
Answer. That I, not wanting to endanger my own salvation, avoid and shun all idolatry, sorcery, superstitious rites, and prayer to saints or to other creatures. That I sincerely acknowledge the only true God, trust God alone, look to God for every good thing humbly and patiently, and love, fear, and honor God with all my heart. In short, that I give up anything rather than go against God's will in any way.

Question 95. What is idolatry?
Answer. Idolatry is having or inventing something in which one trusts in place of, or alongside of, the only true God who is self-revealed in the divine word.

For reflection and discussion:
What is idolatry?
Where do idols come from?

No comments: