06 June 2009

Lord's Day 23 Heidelberg Catechism

Lord's Day 23

Scripture Readings: Romans 3:19-26; John 1:1-18

Question 59. What good does it do you, however, to believe all this?
Answer. In Christ I am right with God and heir to life everlasting.

Question 60. How are you right with God?
Answer. Only by true faith in Jesus Christ. Even though my conscience accuses me of having grievously sinned against all God's commandments and of never having kept any of them, and even though I am still ever inclined toward all evil, nevertheless, without my deserving it at all, out of sheer grace, God grants and credits to me the perfect satisfaction, righteousness, and holiness of Christ, as if I had never sinned nor been a sinner, as if I had been as perfectly obedient as Christ was obedient for me. All I need to do is accept this gift of God with a believing heart.

Question 61. Why do you say that you are right with God by faith alone?
Answer. It is not because of any value my faith has that God is pleased with me. Only Christ's satisfaction, righteousness, and holiness make me right with God. And I can receive this righteousness and make it mine in no other way than by faith

Three terrific questions this week - the heart of the gospel.

For study and discussion:
-Faith is not the source of our righteousness. What is?
-Describe double imputation.

No comments: